Read in : தமிழ்
The Justice A. Arumugasamy Commission set up to inquire into former Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa’s death has recommended that her aide V. K. Sasikala, her doctor K.S. Sivakumar, the then Health Secretary J. Radhakrishnan and former Health Minister C. Vijayabaskar be investigated in the matter.
Jayalalithaa who suddenly took ill was hospitalized in September 2016. After two months of medical treatment at the Apollo Hospitals in Chennai, the Tamil Nadu government officially announced her death at 11.30 pm on December 5, 2016.
However, following controversies about her death, an inquiry committee headed by retired Justice Arumugasamy was set up in November, 2017 by the AIADMK government. After a probe lasting five years, Justice Arumugasamy, who met Chief Minister M.K. Stalin on August 27, 2022, submitted a 500-page report in English and 608 pages in Tamil.
Jayalalithaa who suddenly took ill was hospitalized in September 2016. After two months of her medical treatment, the Tamil Nadu government officially announced that she died at 11.30 pm on December 5, 2016. But, according to some witnesses, she died within 3 pm to 3.50 pm on December 4
The DMK government has tabled in the Assembly the Commission’s report, which has raised suspicions over Sasikala’s role in Jayalalithaa’s death. Following the submission of the Commission report, chief secretary Irai Anbu has ordered action on the report. It has also been decided to take action against those persons specified in the report after legal consultations.
Following are crucial points in the report:
* Jayalalithaa had been suffering with fever three days before she was hospitalized.
* During this time paracetamol was administered to her on the advice of family doctor K.S. Sivakumar
* After a bath, she fainted while returning to her bedroom
* Sasikala tried to hold Jayalalithaa in a bid to prevent her fall. The doctors from Apollo Hospitals who were summoned to her residence gave the late CM first aid.
* Later, she was taken to Apollo Hospitals by ambulance.
* No abnormal reactions to her sudden ill-health were found in the persons who accompanied her to the hospital.
* Jayalalithaa had suffered from obesity, high blood pressure, uncontrolled diabetes.
* She had also suffered from hypothyroidism, chronic inflammatory bowel disease, chronic bronchitis.
* After hospitalization, she had sepsis caused by urinary tract infection.
*She was put on ventilator support on September 27.
Jayalalithaa would have been saved, had the American doctor’s advice been heeded
* American doctor Stuart Russell on Oct.11 recommended to Apollo doctor Babu Abraham that coronary angioplasty be done on her. But the Apollo failed to perform it.
*Jayalalithaa would have been saved, had the American doctor’s advice been heeded.
*It was decided following a U.K. doctor’s oral advice not to perform heart surgery on Jayalalithaa.
*Dr. Babu Abraham gave wrong advice to postpone angioplasty in order to help certain influential people.
*Dr. Babu Abraham informed U.S. doctor Russell that this suggestion had been given by Dr. Richard Beale.
*The Apollo announced that Jayalalithaa died at 11.30 pm on December 5, 2016.
*But according to some witnesses, she had died between 3 pm to 3.50 pm on December 4.
*There is an anomaly in the timing of Jayalalithaa’s death.
*When asked why she had not been taken abroad for more efficient medical treatment, the then Health Secretary replied it would be an insult to the Indian doctors. His answer was quite surprising.
*If the then government had been posted about all wrong information, Jayalalithaa would have been taken abroad for advanced treatment.
*Even if the then health secretary’s opinion was right, would the utilization of services of doctors from London and Singapore not amount to an insult to the Indian doctors?
* Jayalalithaa in 2012 had warned party members not to be in touch with Sasikala’s family.
*Jayalalithaa had accepted Sasikala only on the basis of an assurance letter from the latter.
*According to Sasikala’s kin Krishnapriya, both Jayalalithaa and Sasikala were not on good terms with each other.
*The Commission, on the basis of an inquiry, recommends that Sasikala, Dr. K.S. Sivakumar, the then Health Secretary Radhakrishnan and former Health Minister C. Vijayabhaskar be investigated as perpetrators of crime.
Justice Arumugasamy, who met Chief Minister M. K. Stalin on August 27, 2022, submitted a 500-page report in English and 608 pages in Tamil
*Inquiries must be ordered into the role of doctors Y.V.C. Reddy and Babu Abraham, who had provided treatment to Jayalalithaa.
*Former chief secretary Rama Mohan Rao must also be investigated.
*Dr. Pratap C Reddy, who was empowered to reveal truths, misled mediapersons at a meeting, saying that the then Chief Minister Jayalalithaa would be discharged anytime. So, a probe must be launched against him too for his failure to reveal the truth about her ill-health and treatment given to her.
*The Commission has refused to accept the AIIMS medical committee’s report on the treatment given to her.
Read in : தமிழ்